Sent to all employees on Dec. 12, 2022
As 2022 comes to a close, here are some important reminders and announcements related to your pay, taxes, and benefits — some that may require action. Read closely and mark your calendar for upcoming deadlines.
Take it easy, taxes are hard enough! Sign up for electronic delivery of your 1095-C and W-2 tax forms in your UCPath online account. Your tax forms will be easy to access as soon as you’re ready to file your taxes. And, if you’re still getting your paycheck in the mail, this is the perfect time to sign up for direct deposit. Click here to learn more!
January 2023: Tax Information Deadlines
UCPath begins processing W-2s in January. To ensure the information on your W-2 is complete, accurate and reaches you, please take the following steps by Jan. 13, 2023:
- Verify/update your personal email and home address in UCPath online. Even if you opt for a digital W-2, it’s important that we can reach you.
- Verify/update your dependents. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires the University of California to make reasonable efforts to obtain Social Security numbers for employees, their spouses or domestic partners, and dependents. To review or update your information, log in to UCPath online, then select Employee Actions > Health and Welfare > Dependent Coverage.
- Opt-in to an electronic W-2. Online W-2s are easy, secure, and convenient! To sign up, log in to UCPath online, then select Employee Actions > Income and Taxes > Enroll to Receive Online W-2.
- International workers: Verify your GLACIER account information. International employees may receive a W-2 or 1042-S (Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding). To ensure your tax information is sent correctly, verify that your personal email and home addresses match exactly in UCPath online and the GLACIER tax database. You may also opt to have an electronic 1042-S through GLACIER. Learn more about Form 1042-S.
UCPath also begins processing 1095-Cs in January. To ensure the information electronic delivery/access for your 1095-C please take the following steps by Jan. 1, 2023:
- Opt-in to an electronic 1095-C. Online 1095-Cs are easy, secure, and convenient! To sign up, log in to UCPath online, then select Employee Actions > Income and Taxes > Online 1095-C Consent.
2022 W-2 Statements
W-2 statements for wages earned in 2022 will be available in UCPath online next year. If you have signed up to receive your W-2 electronically, you will be notified via email in January once the statement is available for download.
Important Security Reminder
UCPath does not send W-2 statements by email or text. If you receive an email or text with an attachment for viewing a W-2, it is a phishing scam designed to gain your private information. Do not open attachments that claim to provide access to your W-2 and use caution when clicking any links. If in doubt, go to UCPath online using a safe/known link or web address and access your electronic W-2 directly.
Federal and State Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC or EIC)
Per the Earned Income Tax Credit Information Act, UC includes a notice with all Form W-2 statements notifying employees that they may be eligible for the federal EITC. This is a benefit for working people with low to moderate-income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund. For more information about the federal EITC, reference IRS Notice 797 or contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-3676 or via www.irs.gov/.
You also may be eligible to receive the California EITC. The California EITC is a refundable state income tax credit for low-income working individuals and families. It is treated in the same manner as the federal EITC and generally will not be used to determine eligibility for welfare benefits under California law. To claim the California EITC, even if you do not owe California taxes, you must file a California income tax return and complete and attach the California EITC Form (FTB 3514). For information on the availability of the credit, eligibility, how to obtain necessary forms and help filing, contact the State of California Franchise Tax Board at 800-852-5711 or via www.ftb.ca.gov.
Claiming Exemption from Withholding
The IRS requires you to complete a new W-4 form each year if you are claiming exemption from tax withholding. If you wish to claim exemption from withholding in 2022, you must make this choice on UCPath online before Feb. 15, 2023.
Have Questions or Need Help?
For local UCI assistance, log in to UCI’s Employee Experience Center and select Click for Help to submit a local EEC inquiry. You may also call the EEC to speak with a local UCI associate at 949-824-0500.
For UCPath Center assistance, log in to UCPath online and select Ask UCPath to submit an inquiry. You may also call UCPath to speak with a UCPath associate at 855-982‐7284 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PDT) Monday through Friday.