Some employees who accept new positions at UC Irvine may be eligible, upon advance approval, for reimbursement of moving expenses, removal expenses, and relocation allowances. To avoid confusion and costly mistakes, it is important for supervisors to follow proper relocation procedures and to communicate these procedures accurately to applicable employees.
Reimbursable Relocation Expenses
Relocation expenses generally will fall into one of these three types:
The reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects to a new residence. This includes the cost of travel to the new location for the eligible employee and immediate family members.
The cost of shipping a new faculty member's library and/or laboratory equipment to the Irvine campus. The library and/or laboratory equipment must be moved directly to the University and generally made available for use by faculty, staff and students.
- A new Academic employee who has been hired for a position that requires specialized training or experience may be eligible for reimbursement of 50 percent of moving expenses. Department heads have the authority to approve payments for moving expenses that are in accordance with University and campus policy.
- A new employee who has been appointed to a faculty/academic position may be provided removal, which in addition to the moving expense benefit, provides for 100 percent of the direct costs to ship library and/or laboratory equipment to the Irvine campus. Academic deans or equivalent titles have the authority to approve removal and moving expenses that are in accordance with University and campus policies for academic employees.
- A transferring employee who is relocating to a new UC location may be eligible for full reimbursement of moving expenses. It is the responsibility of the department head to approve the payment of moving expenses that are in accordance with University and campus policies for nonacademic employees.
- Senior Managers, Managers, or Senior Professionals may also be eligible for a relocation allowance, which is equivalent to a taxable wage not to exceed 25 percent of the employee's annualized base salary.
Move & Relocation Policies
- Removal Expenses for Academic Personnel/General APM-560 - PDF
- Removal Expenses/Assistants APM-561 - PDF
- Moving Expenses for Intercampus Transfers APM-550 - PDF
- UC Policy BFB-G-13: Moving and Relocation for Managers & Senior Professionals (MSP), Professional & Support Staff (PSS) - PDF
- UC Regents Policy 7710: SMG Moving Reimbursement for Senior Management Group - PDF