Time Reporting System (TRS) Frequently Asked Questions

Time Reporting System (TRS)The Time Reporting System (TRS) is a secure online timesheet application that integrates University of California pay policies and collective bargaining agreements. The system allows employees to enter their time online, supervisors to approve/edit/return timesheets, and Department Time Administrators (DTAs) to submit timesheets electronically to the campus payroll system.

Accessing TRS

The direct link to TRS is timesheet.uci.edu. Log into TRS using your UCInetID and password.

You can also access TRS via ZotPortal at portal.uci.edu by logging in with your UCInetID and password, hovering your mouse cursor over the Applications tab, and selecting the My Applications Portlet. Under the My Applications bullet, locate and select the item Time Reporting System (TRS).

TRS link is located in the My Applications portlet in the Application tab on ZotPortal.

TRS is available to employees 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via any Internet accessible device.

If you do not have access to a computer at work or at home, please notify your direct supervisor or Departmental Payroll Coordinator. They can assist you with gaining access to TRS. Keep in mind that employees and students of UCI have free access to computers at many campus libraries (Langson, Ayala, etc.) and some departments may also have computer kiosks for your use. Also, most public libraries offer free access to computers.

Yes. You can use any device that allows you access to the Internet, such as smartphones or tablets.

Yes, you will still use TRS to enter your working hours, but you will be moved over to the UCPath version of the software. The legacy Payroll/Personnel System (PPS) version of TRS and the new UCPath version of TRS are not significantly different.

After UCPath is deployed at UCI, the Legacy version of TRS will become a temporary archive and remain available for reference until its data can be migrated to UCPath TRS.

Currently, TRS is open to DTAs (Department Time Administrators), supervisors, most staff and student employees, and select faculty members.

Yes. Work study hours can be reported in TRS.

Time Entry Questions

Yes. You can report most non-productive time in TRS. Non-productive time includes Sick Leave (SKL), Vacation Leave (VAC), Comp Time Off (CTO), Leave without Pay (LWOP), Jury Duty, and Voting Time Off.

TRS automatically determines employee Holiday Pay Eligibility and includes it in the calculation of your pay, so unless you are actually scheduled to work on a holiday, you should not record any work/leave hours on holidays in TRS.

Employees need only enter the actual hours they work and/or take leave in their TRS timesheets. TRS automatically determines any earned Overtime payment and/or Comp Time accrual amount.

Employees need only enter the actual hours they work and/or take leave in their TRS timesheets. TRS automatically determines any earned SDF payment.

Yes. Employees should complete timesheets whether they have hours to record or not.

Timesheets that are still in None status will appear to fall off your Manage My Time tab after the DTA deadline for the timesheet's pay period, however, you can create timesheets for past periods.

Timesheet status is listed as None when it has not yet been saved or submitted by you or your supervisor. Timesheets are temporary until they are saved or submitted by you or your supervisor and will fall off the Open Timesheets section of your Manage My Time tab after TRS rolls over into a new pay period.

Yes. Go to the Enter Current Timesheet section of your Manage My Time tab. Under the Open Timesheets heading, you will see a Recall icon that looks like a green circular arrow in the Action column.

Go to the Enter Current Timesheet section of your Manage My Time tab. Under the Open Timesheets heading, you will see a Recall icon (green circular arrow) in the Action column.

You will be able to recall a timesheet as long as the Submitted to Supervisor status appears under the Timesheet Status column. If the status shows Submitted to DTA, Submitted to PPS, or Completed, you will not be able to recall the timesheet; contact your supervisor to let them know your timesheet needs to be corrected.

Yes. Go to the Enter Current Timesheet section of your Manage My Time tab. Under the Create Past Periods Timesheet heading, you can select the last two pay periods in the drop-down menu OR use the Date field to enter any date during the desired pay period. After you've selected the pay period or date, click the Create button.

Go to the Enter Current Timesheet section of your Manage My Time tab. Under the Create Past Periods Timesheet heading, the last two pay periods will be available to select in the drop-down menu; or in the Date field, you can enter any date during the desired pay period, then click the Create button

Alternative Work Schedules/Multiple Shifts/Etc.

Yes. Approved 9/80 and 4/40 alternate work schedules can be recorded in TRS.

Yes. TRS has a function that will allow you to enter multiple shifts in a work day, if needed.

Find the Add button and select Work Hrs. In the Time In/Out Hours pop-up, select the New Shift button.

Yes, but if you are a Non-Exempt Employee, the way you report work/leave hours via TRS may change once your DTA enters your ERIT reduction in PPS.

For example, if your pre-ERIT percentage of employment was 100 percent (40 hours/week) and you come to an agreement with your department to implement a 20 percent ERIT reduction (less 10 hours/week), you will continue to report the actual hours you work and/or take leave in TRS. However, in addition to reporting your work/leave hours in TRS based on an 80 percent employment percentage (30 hours/week), you will also report the remaining 20 percent (10 hours/week) in TRS to equal your pre-ERIT 100 percent employment percentage by selecting ERIT from the drop-down menu in your timesheets.

Use the Add button in the calendar and select EIRT from the drop-down menu

You may be able to report time via TRS for those jobs which are considered TRS-Eligible and do not have conflicting Payroll attributes. However, you will most likely have to report time on timesheets outside of TRS for any of your jobs that are not considered TRS-Eligible or if they have any of the following types of conflicting Payroll attributes in PPS:

  • Pay Schedule – BiWeekly (BW) or Monthly (MO)
  • FLSA statuses – Exempt or Non-Exempt
  • Union representation – Different Unions (BX/EX) or Different Representation Status (BX/Non-Represented [99])
  • Time Code – Positive (Z) or Exception (R)

Please contact your departmental Payroll Coordinator for further assistance. It's important that you work with your departmental Payroll Coordinator to ensure that you receive proper payment for all time worked.

Supervisors and Administrative Roles

A Department Time Administrators (DTA) is the person responsible for the final review and submission of current and late timesheets into the campus payroll system. In some units, the DTA may not be the same person(s) as the Departmental Payroll Coordinator. Rather, the DTA may be in the unit's Dean's Office or other parent unit.

Yes. Supervisors can create, edit, and submit timesheets on behalf of their employees in TRS. Supervisors can also edit/submit their employees' timesheets currently in Saved or Returned_By_Supervisor status in TRS.

A Primary Supervisor is assigned to an employee by a DTA and is the person directly responsible for overseeing the employee's work schedule, making sure the hours reported by the employee are accurate. Primary Supervisors are also responsible for approving timesheets submitted by the employees to whom they are assigned in TRS.

A Backup Supervisor is assigned by a DTA and oversees an employee's work schedule and approves the employee's timesheets in the absence of the Primary Supervisor. An Optional Backup Supervisor can be also be assigned by a DTA to oversee/approve in the absence of both the Primary and Backup Supervisors.

More Information

Employee-specific instructional content is posted in the TRS Resources portlet in ZotPortal.

Please contact your supervisor and/or departmental Payroll Coordinator for additional assistance.